Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Images of Bengbu - 3

 While shopping for washers, we noticed this "micro" model.  I can only imagine what it could be used for, but it almost looked too cute to take seriously.
 I walked proudly and  humbly behind Steven, Ms. Wan, and Ms. Song as they walked down the bustling streets of Bengbu to the next shop.


 I often wonder what Chinese people think when they see our American shirts and clothes adorned with Chinese characters.  I only hope they make more sense in Chinese, than these clothes do in English.

 Many stores were gearing up for the Spring Festival.  This upcoming year is the year of the Snake!
 I can never get over the fact that most of the baby advertisements I see in China show western babies.  I get told over and over again that they think western babies are so much cuter.  I really couldn't disagree more.  Of course, I am very biased.  But it mostly just makes me laugh.

 There is a large Muslim population in Bengbu, and there are many mosques, as this one above.  Muslim cuisine is very popular as well, and there are growing numbers of  "kabob"/bread food stands on street corners.  I have partaken of the food and it is delicious!!




As with our neighborhood, Bengbu has a love for pets!  As you can see on this pet market street, they sell chickens, birds, rabbits, dogs, and fish for pets.

 Bengbu has a lovely antique/jade market that I have loved to visit since 2005.  I wish I could afford (and also manage to carry!) all these pieces home
Even in my trips to Amsterdam (the land of bicycles) I never saw this unique battery powered vehicle.  Looks like something from the Jetsons!
Above is my beautiful daughter posing next to a restaurant window.  I am a bit perplexed as to how this seems to have caught on in China, but in many windows of restaurants, you will see a poster of Santa Claus, either as shown here, or as just an image of his face (with the red hat and big white beard).  It has no connection to our American holiday or sentiment, but I was told that it is a friendly face of a jolly old man that inspires happiness (and people to come in for a meal!).

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for updating your blog! I enjoyed visiting Bengbu with you! I totally agree with you that it is weird they use Caucasian babies on ads, but it might have something to do with an expression in Chinese, which literally says "white baby" and means "healthy baby".

    ReplyDelete