Thursday, January 17, 2013

Washing machines

Another very busy day in Bengbu today, as the staff spared time from their busy schedule to go shopping with me to buy items needed by the orphanage. 

I just love being part of the equation, as I shake hands with the department store manager.  "Yes, I HAVE traveled 7500 miles just to buy these washing machines.... Yes, I AM using my own personal vacation to work for the children of the orphanage.... Why Yes, we DO appreciate the discount you can provide for these washing machines!  Thank you very much!"

I make sure that the sellers, who are now accustomed to our faces and to the orphanage director, along with our volunteer know how much we appreciate whatever they can do for the children.

In the past, I've received emails from donors saying that they have provided washing machines for the orphanage.  The director has told me that even though they have a large industrial washer for the sheets and linens for the orphanage, they still need individual washers for the children, and they are heavily used.  Unfortunately we can't afford to outfit all 14 rooms with the top-of-the-line washing machines, so we have to compromise and purchase 10 washing machines of good quality.  Although we know they won't last forever, we do know we are providing help to the orphanage as best we can, and they are VERY appreciative for our donations.

No comments:

Post a Comment